Premiums and Funding
Pupil Premium is additional funding that the Government gives to schools and colleges – this funding is targeted at students facing the greatest disadvantage. The Government believes that Pupil Premium is the most effective way to address the current underlying inequalities between children eligible for Free School Meals and their wealthier peers. Pupil Premium is therefore provided to any child currently eligible for Free School Meals that the school is aware of, and to any child who has at any stage in the past six years been eligible – children in care, and those who have spent at least one day in the care system, and the children of parents who are serving in the armed forces, are also eligible. The use of Pupil Premium is the responsibility of each individual school however it is assumed that the funding should be used to remove barriers to learning and ensure that each pupil participates fully in all aspects of school life and reaches his/her full potential.
"Each year in January, every school/college completes a census which captures the pupils/students who are in receipt of Free School Meals – this information is then sent to the Government who issue the funding."
What is the Sports Premium?
The Sports Premium is a grant allocated to schools for the development of a high quality PE curriculum and for the promotion of healthy lifestyles. The PE and sports funding can only be spent on sports and PE provision.
Purpose of Funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- Supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs.
How will we be spending the Sports Funding and who will benefit?
We believe that the money must be used so that all children benefit regardless of sporting ability; that all children are given the opportunity to compete in competitive sports and that staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development.
On the supporting document below we show how we intend to spend the sports funding during this academic year.
|Hallam Fields Evidencing PE and Sports Premium 2022-2023|
|Hallam Fields Pupil Premium Strategy 2022-2023|